Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Special K And Friends!

Support for family and friends has been so important for me in my life, especially during the days of my speech recovery. I really knew who my true friends were when I was an out of control stammerer as they gave me support and encouragement and never made me feel bad about myself. I had a covert stammer which meant that I tried to make other think I was a fluent speaker. This was easy sometimes and hard, tiring and stressful in other situation. I avoided all B, D and G words and always replaced these words with other words that I felt a little more comfortable saying. For example in the pub I felt I could not say Guniness so I would always ask for Murphys and make fun of myself to others that I forgot again, the shame, guilt and self hate I had for myself was a terrible feeling. I remember leaving the pub one night, walking outside and crying as I could hear others laughing at my stammer. I thought I did well to avoid but people knew....yes Matt Wilton has a stammer! Amazing that the McGuire Programme has not only changed my speaking life but also my confidence as a person. I am now in control and such a strong person now!!

My friends at home have been amazing and supported me so much during my recovery. They have been there to listen and understand the technique and some of them had been good enough to let me know if I am doing something wrong. My brother Chris also has a stammer and we helped each other build confidence and get out on the streets and practice our speech. Harvs (slimbob.co.uk) our mate even attended a course to try to understand how best to support me and Chris. Support from your family is important, knowing the McGuire Programme wants friends and family to attend courses is such a great idea as the stammerer needs support and loved ones to try to understand. We also feel the family and friends need support as much as us. My ex-girlfriend Carly attended many full courses to try to understand how best to help me - something im eternally grateful for and my sister Kate (Daisy) has also has a taste of a McGuire Course. Yes we all need support.

The main success of the McGuire Programme is the support network. Not only do you get your own coach, access to support groups all around the UK, a phonelist of coaches, access to future courses and also worldwide support but you also make friends on the programme. Friends who understand what its like to stammer and friends who can pick you up if you have had a bad day. I have been lucky as I have made some great friends for life. Martin Coombs (Bill Bottle), my primary coach lives near me and I often visit him and his wife for a meal. Alan and Sandra Wyatt, are always there for me, whether it be speech related or personal issues, two amazing people. I have also expanded my comfort zones and visit london. There I have made two very good friends in Michael Hay and Gareth Gates. Not just friends to help my continued recovery from my stammer but friends for life who are there to help me with any life problems or there to just listen. Closer to home Simon Baily and Gemma and Bob have been there to support me and have become good friends.

Then we go into Europe and there's Stamatis from Greece. Stamatis is becoming to great trusting, honest friend who made me feel so welcome in Greece recently. The rock, Kristin from Norway has also been such a recent influence on my recovery. She has become a good friend and we speak quite regularly. Her help with my speech and also non-speech related issues is something I can't thank her enough for. So just goes to show, the support network must be second to none and I also feel lucky to not just know such wonderful guys, but to have a stammer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home